Saturday 8 October 2016, 10.30am to 3.30pm
In a landscape that's been greatly altered through clearing, the J.C. Griffin Nature Reserve retains exceptional stands of very old trees, including Long-leaved Box and Yellow Gum. Some of these are gigantic and thought to be over 300 years old.
This ancient woodland has a rich mixture of habitats including grasslands and heaths. It's a haven for bushland birds that are declining across Victoria and home to endangered reptiles and mammals. It's a place where rare and beautiful plants can thrive and at least six species of orchid are found, including the rare Red-cross Spider Orchid.
Our Reserve Manager, Jeroen van Veen, has managed this property since it was gifted to us in 2011. Come and join him on a walking tour and see for yourself what a wonderful place it is, while learning more about what we're doing to protect it.
This tour is FREE, although we'd greatly welcome a donation towards the day.
JC Griffin Reserve is in north-central Victoria, about 210km north-west of Melbourne (3 hour drive), 5km from Stuart Mill, 40km north of Avoca and 20km south of St Arnaud.
You will need to
Arrange your own transport to and from the reserve – 2WD vehicles are suitable. Bush Heritage will meet you in the village of Stuart Mill and then convoy to the reserve.
- Bring your own drinking water and food, including morning tea, picnic lunch, snacks and drinks.
- Have a reasonable level of fitness, mobility and good balance. Most of the walking will be off track. The terrain is undulating and can be a little rocky in places, but the pace will be gentle to allow for plenty of looking and talking. We're likely to cover 3km to 5km.
- Wear suitable clothing for walking in the outdoors, including sturdy foot wear.
- Bring a day pack to carry your lunch, water and gear as we may not return to cars until the end of the day.
- Camp chair or picnic rug may be handy.
What Bush Heritage supplies
- Knowledgeable and experienced staff to guide you safely around the property.
- Emergency equipment and first aid kit.
- There are no facilities on site. The closest public toilets are at Stuart Mill.
- There is reasonable mobile phone coverage for Telstra.
10.30am meet at Stuart Mill at the recreation park (public toilets available). After introductions, we'll travel in convoy (carpooling if possible) to the reserve, about a 5km drive. Once on site, Jeroen will give an overview of the property before setting off on foot. The pace will be gentle with plenty of time for stops and discussions. We'll aim to have you back at your cars around 3.30pm for departure.
Other helpful information
The closest shops and fuel are at Avoca, St Arnaud and Dunolly. Tourist Information: http://www.visitgrampians.com.au/
Booking is essential: Limited spaces are available and this tour is currently fully booked. You can register your interest using the form below, to go on a waiting list and be notified if spaces become available. A detailed trip itinerary and payment forms will be sent to confirmed participants at a later date.
Contact Katrina Blake on (03) 8610 9124 or email@example.com if you have any follow up questions.