Sunday 18 September 2016 – 10.30am to 3.30pm
Bring your picnic and put on your walking shoes as exploring on foot is the best way to absorb the delights of Nardoo Hills Reserves.
Our Victorian Reserves Manager, Jeroen Van Veen, has been managing these properties for 8 years and has a detailed knowledge of every corner of these reserves and what makes them special. He'll share with you the challenges and triumphs, and take you to some of his favourite spots to explain our conservation work.
The Nardoo Hills Reserves comprise four blocks of land that support a diversity of vegetation communities, including grey box grassy woodland, box-ironbark forests and mallee. They also provide vital habitat for a range of wildlife, particularly nationally declining woodland birds.
This tour is FREE, although we'd greatly welcome a donation towards the day.
Nardoo Hills is in north-central Victoria, about 12km north of Wedderburn (15 minute drive), 100km north-west of Bendigo (1.15 hour drive), 210km north-west of Melbourne (3 hour drive) and 35km south-east of Charlton (30 minute drive).
You will need to
- Arrange your own transport to and from the reserve – 2WD vehicles are suitable. There's about 7km of unsealed track to reach the reserve.
- Bring your own morning tea, picnic lunch, snacks and drinks/water for the day. We'll have tea and coffee available on arrival.
- Have a reasonable level of fitness, mobility and good balance. Most of the walking will be off track. The terrain can be rather rocky and hilly but the pace will be gentle to allow for plenty of looking and talking. We're likely to cover 3km to 5km.
- Wear suitable clothing for walking in the outdoors, including sturdy foot wear.
- Bring a day pack to carry your lunch, water and gear as we may not return to the shed until the end of the day.
What Bush Heritage supplies
- Knowledgeable and experienced staff to guide you safely around the property
- Tea and coffee on arrival
- Emergency equipment and first aid kit.
- Composting toilet
- Mobile phone reception is patchy and can't be relied on.
10.30am meet at Nardoo Hills shed. After an initial introduction over a cup of tea we'll set off on foot to explore this wonderful property, taking in some of the key features and management practices. Lunch will be in the bush while we're out walking. We'll aim to have you back at your cars around 3.30pm for departure.
See Loddon Visitor Information Centre: Phone: (03) 5494 3489.
Booking is essential: Limited spaces are available and this tour is currently fully booked. You can register your interest using the form below, to go on a waiting list and be notified if spaces become available. A detailed trip itinerary and payment forms will be sent to confirmed participants at a later date.
Contact Katrina Blake on (03) 8610 9124 or email@example.com if you have any follow up questions.