Bush Heritage, together with our corporate partner, Flight Centre Foundation, is supporting Tash in undertaking a Certificate III in Conservation and Land Management as part of a full-time, work-based traineeship based on Carnarvon Station Reserve. Under the guidance of the Carnarvon Team, and with the support of the broader Bush Heritage Family, Natasha is undertaking work-based learning, practical skills training and formal accreditation in field work practices.
Bush Heritage are thrilled to have Tash on board we're looking forward to sharing Tash’s journey.
Since starting my traineeship in Conservation and Land Management in November last year, I've been enjoying all sorts of amazing and wonderful experiences. Carnarvon Station Reserve, where I’m based, is such a beautiful place – it's something really special.
Working alongside Carnarvon’s Healthy Landscape Manager, Chris Wilson, and Ecologist, Bec Diete, has been a big part of what has made these past weeks pretty awesome. In just a short time I've been shown so much and have learnt a lot – I really enjoy working with the Carnarvon team.
In fact, all the Bushies (Bush Heritage staff) I've met so far have made me feel very welcome. Every day on Carnarvon is different, but here’s just a few things I’ve achieved and done while only being here just a short time:
- I’ve had inductions, completed risk assessments and can conduct day-to-day pre-start checks on buggys, utes and all types of machinery.
- I got to drive the big green tractor, which I was quite proud of – thanks to Chris helping me.
- learning how to use a drop saw, grinder, Mig welder and chainsaws has been a great experience.
- I also got the chance to set up some camera traps (for fauna monitoring) with Rebecca Diete which was quite interesting – using a GPS, bait holders, pink flagging tap and wire.
- I’ve also been driving the V8 Land Cruisers with big trailers on them, which I’ve never done before and it was quite an experience.
- I have felt privileged to meet with Traditional Owner of Carnarvon Country, Keelan Mailman.
- As for the office side of things I’m learning new things like Skype and Excel.
I'm looking forward to every day spent our here as a traininee and enjoying all that I experience and learn.
– Tash Richards