Bush tucker basics
Exploring, hiking or camping in the bush is a sure way to build up an appetite. There are loads of delicious foods you can cook over an open fire but one of the simplest and best known to make is damper.
It’s so easy, everyone can have a go, and cooking on an open fire is fun.
Safety: Please be sure you have an adult helper when around a campfire. (And adults, be sure to follow advice around Total Fire Bans and declared Fire Danger Periods.)
- Self-raising flour (1 cup or around 500g)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Butter or jam to enjoy with it.
- Rub the butter through the flour until it’s all crumbly.
- Then mix in the salt, sugar and milk until it forms a dough of nice consistency.
- Poke it onto a stick or roll into a snake shape and wind around a stick.
- Cook over an open fire and add butter or jam to taste!